RS: [Beowulf] Virtualization in head node ?

Alan Ward award at
Wed Sep 16 00:23:07 PDT 2009

I have been working quite a lot with VBox, mostly for server stuff. I agree it can be quite impressive, and has some nice features (e.g. do not stop a machine, sleep it - and wake up pretty fast).

On the other hand, we found that anything that has to do with disk access is pretty slow, specially when working with a local disk image file.

-----Missatge original-----
De: beowulf-bounces at en nom de John Hearns
Enviat el: dc. 16/09/2009 07:44
Per a: Beowulf Mailing List
Tema: Re: [Beowulf] Virtualization in head node ?
2009/9/16 Reuti <reuti at>:

> To operate Sun VirtualBox w/o the graphical interface is possible, and you
> can also direct the virtual console to any remote machine using "rdesktop"
> as client on any platform you like.

I agree re. Virtualbox - I'm evaluating it for desktop use, not for
the purpose suggested here,
and its quite impressive. The latest version offers direct access to
accelerated 3D graphics on the host. Also I put a virtual machine to
sleep yesterday when running a CAD style application, and started it
up later, the application picked itself up mid-stride and continued
on. Well, maybe I'm easily impressed.
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at sponsored by Penguin Computing