[Beowulf] how large of an installation have people used NFS with? would 300 mounts kill performance?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:56:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Joe Landman
<landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> Rahul Nabar wrote:
>> I'm thinking of having multiple 10GigE uplinks between the switch and
>> the NFS server. The actual storage is planned to reside on a box of
>> SAS disks. Approx 15 disks. THe NFS server is planned with at least
>> two RAID cards with multiple SAS connections to the box.
> ugh ... Why are you designing it ahead of time?  Why not take your
> requirements and needs and use that to dictate the design?

Oh no! I wasn't meaning that I was designing this. Sorry. I gave my
vendor the specs. and these were the options that came up. He is
meaning to design each component to balance loads.

But realistically for 300 compute-nodes a config. close to what I
wrote is to be expected he said. Just giving and idea of where my
current expectation is about where we will be ending up at.