[Beowulf] how large can we go with 1GB Ethernet? / Re: how large of an installation have people used NFS, with?

psc pscadmin at avalon.umaryland.edu
Wed Sep 9 12:23:30 PDT 2009

I wonder what would be the sensible biggest cluster possible based on
1GB Ethernet network . And especially how would you connect those 1GB
switches together -- now we have (on one of our four clusters) Two 48
ports gigabit switches connected together with 6 patch cables and I just
ran out of ports for expansion and wonder where to go from here as we
already have four clusters and it would be great to stop adding cluster
and start expending them beyond number of outlets on the switch/s ....
NFS and 1GB Ethernet works great for us and we want to stick with it ,
but we would love to find a way how to overcome the current "switch
limitation".   ... I heard that there are some "stackable switches" ..
in any case -- any idea , suggestion will be appreciated.

thanks!!
psc