[Beowulf] petabyte for $117k

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Sep 2 13:02:57 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:43:46PM -0300, Bruno Coutinho wrote:

> According to this site, the main difference between Seagate desktop and ES
> series is that the latter are more vibration resistant.
> http://techreport.com/articles.x/10748

This is interesting -- a non-firmware difference between normal and
"enterprise" disks. The Barracuda.ES2 datasheet confirms the 12.5
rad/sec^2 number, but the 5.5 rad/sec^2 number is much harder to find;
this doc has it:
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/mb578_7200.pdf but you'll
have to look at it cached.

As for people's vibrations comments: they own a bunch of them and they
work... but that is only a single point of evidence and not a history
of working with a variety of disks models over time. The guy said he
could write a whole post about vibration; I think it would be very
interesting.

-- greg