[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: fullcluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Oct 8 10:24:39 PDT 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Hearns, John <john.hearns at mclaren.com> wrote:
>
>> And Rahul, are you not talking to vendors who are telling you about
>> their remote management and
>> node imaging capabilities? By vendors, I do not mean your local Tier 1
>> salesman, who sells servers to normal businesses
>> and corporations.
>

> Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I am aware of IPMI and my
> hardware does support it (I think).  Its just that I've never had much
> use for it all my past clusters being very small.

Even with IPMI, you still need a crash cart of some type to initially
set up IPMI in the system's BIOS. At the minimum, you need to set the IP
address that the IMPI interface will listen on (if it's a shared NIC
port), and the password. You definitely don't want to leave the default
password.

--
Prentice