[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Oct 3 12:52:52 PDT 2009

John Hearns wrote:
> 2009/10/3 Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com>:
>> ipmitool seems to have a rich set of features for querying the BMC's
>> etc. but I didn't see many SOL sections. Is ipmitool what people use
>> to watch a redirected console as well or anything else? I couldn't
>> find any good SOL howtos or tutorials on google other than the
>> vendor-specific ones. ANy pointers?
> Remember that
> a) the system must be running a serial console, ie, in inittab there
> is a getty associated with the serial port
> b) the BIOS is set to redirect serial port to IPMI

c) Your boot loader (e.g. grub) must be pointed at the serial console.
d) Make sure the bit rates for a)-c) are set the same, and that the bit
rates actually work. For instance, Dell BMCs claim to do up through
115kbps but ipmitool gives garbage at anything above 56.6kbps.

-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/