[Beowulf] rhel hpc

Toon Knapen toon.knapen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:46:34 PST 2009

Dear all,

I've been working on hpux-itanium for the last 2 years (and even
unsubscribed to beowulf-ml during most of that time, my bad) but soon will
turn back to a beowulf cluster (HP DL380G6's with Xeon X5560, amcc/3ware
9690SA-8i with 4 x 600GB Cheetah 15krpm). Now I have a few questions on the
config.

1) our company is standardised on RHEL 5.1. Would sticking with rhel 5.1
instead of going to the latest make a difference.
2) What are the advantages of the hpc version of rhel. I browsed the doc but
unless having to compile mpi myself I do not see a difference or did I miss
soth.
3) which filesystem is advisable knowing that we're calculating on large
berkeley db databases

thanks in advance,

toon