[Beowulf] Parallel programming using Scalapack and OpenMPI

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 30 10:24:09 PST 2009

Hi Ivan

PETSc (short for
Portable Extensible Toolkit for Scientific Computation,
from Argonne Natl. Lab.)
gives you the ability to use Scalapack
and provides a number of linear and PDE solvers:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/

It builds on top of MPI, BLAS and LAPACK,
but you can bind it to a variety of Linear Algebra and
other packages, including Scalapack.

IIRR, PETSc's default MPI is MPICH2, which is how
I built it here a while ago.
However, I think it can be built with OpenMPI as well.
See this FAQ:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=mpi-apps#petsc

PETSc has C, Fortran, C++, and Python APIs.

Some people here used PETSc very successfully
(problems were solved, theses were written,
PhDs were awarded, papers were published)
on global ocean circulation inverse problems,
magma migration modeling (i.e., reactive fluid
flow in porous media, sounds familiar?), etc.

PETSc is certainly good for prototyping,
although there is a learning curve.
As for efficiency and production codes, I don't know,
but you can check their FAQ:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/faq.html

and mailing list,
where you may also find some useful information about
your questions and specific problem:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/

In case you don't know, the (very simple)
Scalapack home page is on Netlib site:

http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/scalapack_home.html

My two cents.

Boa sorte!