[Beowulf] MPI_Isend/Irecv failure for IB and large message sizes

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Mon Nov 16 21:04:07 PST 2009

Hi Gus,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:40:51PM -0500, Gus Correa wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> I tried your program with the four combinations of
> IB and TCP/IP, mcmodel small and medium.
> I lazily didn't recompile OpenMPI (1.3.2) with mcmodel=medium,
> just the program, hence this is not a very clean test.
>
> FYI, we have dual-socket quad-core AMD Opteron
> nodes with 16GB RAM each.
> OpenMPI 1.3.2, CentOS 5.2, gcc 4.1.2, OFED 1.4.

We have dual-socket quad-core Intel E5430, 16GB,
OpenMPI-1.3.3, SL 5.3, gcc 4.3.2 (and a bunch of other compilers,
but gcc-4.3.2 is used to compile OpenMPI), OFED-1.3.2 (tested
OFED-1.4.1 on two test nodes).

> When I ran on 2 nodes and 16 processes the program would always fail
> with segmentation fault / address not mapped on all four
> combinations above.
>
> However, when I ran on 2 nodes and 2 processes ( -bynode flag in
> use to direct each process to a separate node) then it
> worked over all four combinations!
>
> Here is the IB+medium stderr (you printed to stderr):
> id=1: calling irecv ...
> id=0: calling isend ...
>
> and the corresponding stdout:
> id=0: isend/irecv completed 1.954140
> id=1: isend/irecv completed 4.192037

Thanks!!
Now I am surprised ... this always fails here.
What's the difference?

> This rules out a problem with memory model, I suppose.
> Small is good enough for your message size,
> as long as there is enough RAM for all processes,
> MPI overhead, etc.
>
> Also, as Don Holmgren already pointed out to you,
> make sure your limits are properly set on the nodes.
> For instance, we use Torque, and we put these settings
> on the nodes' /etc/init.d/pbs_mom:
>
> ulimit -n 32768
> ulimit -s unlimited
> ulimit -l unlimited
>
> Just like Don, we've been burned by this before, when using the
> vendor original setup.
> Of course these limits can be set in other ways.

I have been running this on the two test nodes without going through
torque to avoid exactly these kind of problems.
Anyway, I just ran the same program through torque, ran "ulimit -a"
in the pbs script (all looks fine), but the program still fails.

> As a practical matter:
>
> Would it be possible/desirable to reduce the message size,
> splitting the huge message into several smaller ones?
> I know the wisdom is that one big message is better
> than many small ones, but here we're talking about huge,
> not big, and sizable, not small.
>
> Even your tiny test program takes a detectable time to run
> (4s+ seconds on IB, 14s+ on TCP/IP).
> It may be worth writing another version of it looping over
> smaller messages,
> and do some timing tests to compare with the huge
> message version.
> There may be a sweet spot for the message size vs. number of
> messages, I would guess.
> Big may not always be better.
>
> In the past a user here had a program sending very large messages
> (big 3D arrays).
> Not so big as to hit the 2GB threshold, but big enough to
> slow down the nodes and the cluster.
> Rewriting the program to loop over smaller messages
> (2D array slices) solved the problem.
> I remember other threads in the MPICH and OpenMPI
> mailing lists that reported difficulties with huge messages.
>
> My $0.02
> Gus Correa
> Gustavo Correa
> Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

In principle, yes ... I already wrote wrapper functions
myMPI_Isend, myMPI_Irecv that do exactly that.
However, we are talking about one of those quantum chemistry
programs: many thousands of lines ... I'd really like to avoid
this.

- Martin