[Beowulf] Wired article about Go machine

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 24 07:32:19 PDT 2009

I'm not even sure why I'm entering into this...

Vincent, I use OpenOffice on a daily basis, interact with Windows users
w/ Word, and have no problems.  I do considerably more than printing
labels, too.  We trade documents and spreadsheets back and forth, in
support of my projects.

The only application I've seen trouble with was a document created using
Office (not OpenOffice) for the Mac, by a user who sent the result out
in RTF.  I'm not sure what he did but I couldn't process it in MS Office
on *my* iMac at the office, nor on OpenOffice on the iMac, my laptop,
nor my home systems.

My family uses OpenOffice, including my kids for whom "Office" is a
school requirement.  They have no problems, and their teachers see no
difference.  My wife is not an IT professional (she delivers babies as a
midwife) and her frustration with Office is greater than with OpenOffice.

If you don't like open-source solutions, fine, but why don't you stop
trying to convince a reasonably large group of reasonably intelligent
folk to follow your lead?

gc