[Beowulf] Beowulf on head Core2Duo/8RAM/8800GTX(4 CUDA) + 2 nodes - SonyPS3 + AlliedTelesyn GLAN Switch running "home-made CFD-program

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 6 07:06:04 PST 2009

2009/3/1 Залетнев Дмитрий <dzaletnev at yandex.ru>:
> I have such a configuration and now I'm interested, where can I obtain Beowulf & PVM, in "Operating systems. Internals and Design Principles. 4-th Ed." by W.Stollings, said that i can obtain Beowulf from www.beowulf.org. But I cann't find the path to download. The same is with PVM. By the way, what OS should i use: Fedora-based Yellow Dog Linux and Fedora for Head; NetBSD everywhere or something else? I am new in Linux, this cluster is intended for my scientific activity to make a work, that would make possible to me to became Ph.D. in heat-transfer coupled with hydrodynamics.
> Sincerely yours, Dmitry Zaletnev.

Dmitry, there is really no such thing as 'Beowulf'
It is a combination of using a parallel library - such as PVM or MPI
with commodity hardware.

That looks like a really, really interesting setup!
My advice to you - download OpenSUSE 11.1 for your head node, and
download the CUDA development kit from
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html
That should give you plenty of CPU power with 4 CUDA cards.
And please let us know how you progress - I'm very interested in
running CFD codes on CUDA. (Hint - I look after CFD machines)

Sorry I cannot help with the preferred way to run Sony PS3s.
However, I think you should concentrate on the mix of x86_64 and CUDA
- as I Say you have lots of potential there.

John Hearns