[Beowulf] noobs: what comes next?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Jun 22 23:37:19 PDT 2009

> I've sent this mail as a direct reply to Mr. John Hearns, so I'm
> sending
> it again to the list - my apologies to Mr. Hearns.

Emmm... John please!

> Hearns, John wrote:
> > >
> > > I would guess you are looking are looking at using OpenFOAM for
the
> CFD
> > > solver?
>
> Of course, what else is there? :))

You can download a trial version of CD-Adapco software,
But I Agree for the budget point of 0 there's not much choice!

> I'm also worried about the coarse grained nature of CFD simulations if
> go down this road - the IPC is really low with respect to RAM access
> and
> data manipulation (again, I might be wrong, please correct me). Having
> 4
> cores accessing 2GB of RAM all the time... can this be a problem?

You're going to need more than 2 or 4 Gbytes memory for any real CFD
usage.
Seriously, these days people are speccing 4gigs for office workstations.
Regarding memory bandwidth, note that I said Nehalem - which are getting
good benchmark results
For CFD codes.
IF I were you I would seriously be considering my budget and looking at
a as good a Nehalem
Workstation as I can afford.
Sorry, I know this goes against the list's origins in making good use of
cheap or surplus hardware,
And I hang mu head in shame. I also hang my head in shame at using
Outlook which Capitalises Every Line.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.