[Beowulf] noobs: what comes next?

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jun 22 17:26:38 PDT 2009

> If I buy a 100 USD Gigabit switch, 3 HDDs (10000 RPM and about 160 GB)

so a $100 Gb switch should get you ~12 ports.  why in Amdahl's name
would you waste your money on 10k rpm disks, especially when in your
previous breath you were talking about power?  maybe I should have
said Moore's name, since disk technology, being an areal process like
IC density, is scaling exponentially.  that means that modern disks
already provide more bandwidth than you can use.  there's a good
argument for high-rpm disks if you have an inherently seeky workload,
but I really don't think CFD is.

> what's best for me, with no experience in price/performance ratios of
> current COTS hardware or detailed knowledge of benchmarking.

considered as bare chips, atom's flops/power is probably not bad.
once you factor in the support chips...  core2 or k10-generation systems
will be fast, cool and cheap.