[Beowulf] OpenFOAM, Linux & Compilers

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Jun 22 09:24:16 PDT 2009

That's a boat load of questions!
An executable is the actual program file of machine instructions which
you run.
I'd guess Windows has the same - think of .exe files!

Regarding Gentoo, it does indeed recompile system executables every time
they are installed,
The thinking being you get best performance when they are optimised for
your exact architectire.
Me, I say if you want to run a code like Openfoam or other scientific
application stick to a mainstream distribution.
Like Redhat Enterprise, Fedora, SuSE (Enterprise or OpenSUSE).
I may be wrong, as I am not a Gentoo weenie.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.