[Beowulf] dedupe filesystem

Matt Lawrence matt at technoronin.com
Tue Jun 2 21:56:54 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, John Hearns wrote:

> I'm quite interested in this discussion.
> De-duplication seems to be all the rage in 'corporate IT'.
> Surely the purpose is mainly to deal with storing many copies of the
> same emails (or Excel files... etc.)

I have found a great deaal of duplication in install trees, particularly
when you just want to install the latest.  I've managed to get some
massive savings with NIM on AIX and some lesser but stll very good savings
with CentOS by building parallel trees and hard linking the files.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.