[Beowulf] Parallel Programming Question

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 1 12:41:47 PDT 2009

Hi Amjad, list

amjad ali wrote:
> Hi,
> Gus--thank you.
> You are right. I mainly have to run programs on a small cluster (GiGE)
> dedicated for my job only; and sometimes I might get some opportunity to
> run my code on a shared cluster with hundreds of nodes.

Thanks for telling.
My guess was not very far from true. :)

BTW, if you are doing cluster control, I/O and MPI all across the same
GigE network, and if your nodes have dual GigE ports, you may consider
buying a second switch (or using VLAN on your existing switch,
if it has it) to deploy a second GigE network only for MPI.
In case you haven't done this yet, of course.
The cost is very modest, and the performance should improve.
OpenMPI and MPICH can select which network they use, leaving the other
one for I/O and control.

> My parallel CFD application involves (In its simplest form):
> 1) reading of input and mesh data from few files by the master process (I/O)
> 2) Sending the full/respective data to all other processes (MPI
> Broadcast/Scatter)
> 3) Share the values at subdomains (created by Metis) boundaries at the
> end of each iteration (MPI Message Passing)
> 4) On converge,  send/Gather the results from all processes to master
> process
> 5) Writing the results to files by the master process (I/O).
>
> So I think my program is not I/O intensive; so the Funneling I/O through
> the master process is sufficient for me. Right?

This scheme doesn't differ much from most
atmosphere/ocean/climate models we run here.
(They call the programs "models" in this community.)
After all, part of the computations here are also CFD-type,
although with reduced forms of the Navier-Stokes equation
in a rotating planet.
(Other computations are not CFD, e.g. radiative transfer.)

We tend to output data every 4000 time steps (order of magnitude),
and in extreme, rare, cases every 40 time steps or so.
There is a lot of computation on each time step, and the usual
exchange of boundary values across subdomains using MPI
(i.e. we also use domain decomposition).
You may have adaptive meshes though,
whereas most of our models use fixed grids.

For this pattern of work and this ratio of
computation-to-communication-to-I/O,
the models that work best are those that funnel I/O through
the "master" processor.

My guess is that this scheme would work OK for you also,
since you seem to output data only "on convergence" (to a steady state
perhaps?).
I presume this takes many time steps,
and involves a lot of computation, and a significant amount of MPI
communication, right?

> But now I have to parallelize a new serial code, which plots the results
> while running  (online/live display).  Means that it shows the  plots
> of  three/four variables (in small windows) while running and we see it
> as video (all progress from initial stage to final stage). I assume that
> this time much more I/O is involved. At the end of each iteration result
> needs to be gathered from all processes to the master process. And
> possibly needs to be written in files as well (I am not sure). Do we
> need to write it on some file/s for online display, after each
> iteration/time-step?

Do you somehow use the movie results to control the program,
change its parameters, or its course of action?
If you do, then the "real time" feature is really required.
Otherwise, you could process the movie offline after the run ends,
although this would spoil the fun of seeing it live, no doubt about it.

I suppose a separate program shows the movie, right?
Short from a more sophisticated solution using MPI-I/O and perhaps
relying on a parallel file system, you could dump the
subdomain snapshots to the nodes' local disks, then run
a separate program to harvest this data, recompose the frames into
the global domain, and exhibit the movie.
(Using MPI types may help rebuild the frames on the global domain.)
If the snapshots are not dumped very often, funneling them through the
master processor using MPI_Gather[v], and letting the master processor
output the result, would be OK also.

Regardless of how you do it, I doubt you need one snapshot for each
time step. It should be much less, as you say below.

> I think (as serial code will be displaying result after each
> iteration/time step), I should display result online after 100
> iterations/time-steps in my parallel version so less "I/O" and/or
> "funneling I/O through master process" will be required.
> Any opinion/suggestion?

Yes, you may want to decimate the number of snapshots that you dump to
file, to avoid I/O at every time step.
How many time steps between snapshots?
It depends on how fast the algorithm moves the solution, I would guess.
It should be an interval short enough to provide smooth transitions from
frame to frame, but long enough to avoid too much I/O.
You may want to leave this number as a (Fortran namelist) parameter
that you can choose at runtime.

Movies are 24 frames per second (at least before the digital era).

Jean-Luc Goddard once said:
"Photography is truth. Cinema is truth twenty-four times per second."

Of course he also said:
"Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world.".

But you don't need to tell your science buddies or your adviser about
that ... :)

Good luck!

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa