[Beowulf] tcp error: Need ideas!

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Jan 25 07:32:05 PST 2009

Gerry Creager wrote:
> Joe Landman wrote:
>> I wonder if the switch could be implicated.  We have seen some (cheap)
>> GbE switches not support (in practice) jumbo frames (irrespective of
>> literature).
>
> Been there, done that.  HP claims to be able to handle packets up to
> 9000 bytes of payload. (9122 total, IIRC)

Ok, modern Procurves are good.  Its unlikely to be this.

[...]

> But here's the one I love:
> -bash-3.2# ethtool -K tso off
> no offload settings changed

Hmmm... driver sounds borked if it advertises being able to turn tso
on/off and then doesn't let you.

> I apparently can't control things with ethtool...

... smells like the driver.

[...]

Any luck with this?  I pulled down the tarball and built it here on a
2.6.9 based machine without incident.  Not RPM format (no .spec file),
but fairly painless to build.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO