[Beowulf] tcp error: Need ideas!

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Jan 24 11:53:04 PST 2009

I wonder if the switch could be implicated.  We have seen some (cheap)
GbE switches not support (in practice) jumbo frames (irrespective of
literature).

Nifty Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:36:09AM -0600, Gerry Creager wrote:
>> Couple of follow-up notes.
>>
>> MTU=4500:  Had one node fall over with the same overflow errors.
>> MTU=3000:  A WRF model is running, but single timesteps are executing
>> 2.5x slower than MTU=1500

Segment offload?  Is TSO on or off?

	ethtool -k eth0

will tell you.  You might also have one very reluctant machine, in the
sense of being unwilling to switch their mtu.  Could you do an

	ifconfig eth0 | grep MTU

on each machine and verify that everyone is using the right MTU?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com