[Beowulf] Consumer vs. Enterprise Hard Drives in Clusters

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Jan 21 17:39:10 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 05:35:06PM -0800, Jon Forrest wrote:

> An even wiser man once told me that Seagate 1TB drives
> aren't weird stuff. They're the same no matter where you
> buy them. In other words, they're commodity drives.

So you think newegg's customers buy a lot of Enterprise drives?
Things that you don't sell much of are weird, and your pricing
won't necessarily be competitive for them.

Now I don't know if newegg is charging a fair price or not, but
I would not depend on that single data point to determine the
price difference.

-- greg