[Beowulf] SGE and PBS

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jan 15 14:43:16 PST 2009

Hi,

Am 14.01.2009 um 21:56 schrieb Vineet Kashyap:

> I am new to this but would like to know
> if we can use PBS instead of SGE.
>
> I have a script which uses SGE and i would
> like to use PBS.

when you have already script for SGE, why do you want to use PBS (the
commercial PBS or Torque?).

There are features in SGE, which are not avaiable in PBS, so you
would have to adjust your scripts. This depends on the features which
the scripts are using.

> Would it be easier to setup SGE on the existing
> cluster of  8 processor AMD Athlon (4 dual socket
> 1.8GHz AMD Athlon with 1GB RAM each)

Do you know any of both from the view of an administrator? The
installation of SGE is not a big deal, but it can be customized in
many ways. It might even be necssary to set it up in such a way, that
the script's expectations are met.

> The base OS is Fedora Core 6 and Red Hat versions 7.3
> is used on other nodes. This is at my university so my only
> concern is rights to install any dependencies.

Root access you need for both (to install it for all users). If you
are alone and want to run serial jobs only, then SGE can even be
installed under a user account.

-- Reuti