[Beowulf] FW: Availability of an MPI program verification tool

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 24 13:27:52 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
[mailto:mpich-discuss-bounces at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Ganesh
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:50 PM
To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: [mpich-discuss] Availability of an MPI program verification tool

Hi,

The ISP (``In-situ Partial Order'') Verification tool for MPI is now
available for download. ISP push-button verifies MPI  C programs and
presents intuitive error-traces as well as other info (e.g. the
completes-before relation showing how MPI operations may finish) using
two graphical user interfaces: a Java based one, and a Visual Studio
based one. Other features of ISP that makes it helpful in learning /
teaching MPI as well as debugging MPI programs in parallel programming
projects include:

   * Runs under Linux, MAC OS/X, and Windows.
   * Windows version has a Visual Studio plug-in that is also downloadable.
   * Tested with MPICH2, OpenMPI, and Microsoft MPI libraries.
   * Push-button formal verification of thousands of lines of MPI/C code
in seconds, for deadlocks, assertion violations, MPI object leaks, and
communication races.
   * Comes with 100s of benchmark examples
   * Runs faster on multi-core machines, thanks to OpenMP based
parallelization
   * We can also offer you the ISO image of a LiveCD that you can burn
to boot ISP on any machine, and teach ISP under a Virtual Machine
   * BSD License

The user manual at the ISP download site fully explains all the tool
features, and also the email for contact (isp-dev at cs.utah.edu)

http://www.cs.utah.edu/formal_verification/ISP-release

Credits for ISP go to many students who are fully acknowledged in our
user manual. Funding for ISP comes from Microsoft and NSF.

Papers that explain ISP are available from our homepage (leave out
/ISP-release above)

Ganesh Gopalakrishnan
School of Computing, University of Utah