[Beowulf] Can Beowulf with Linux run all the desktop applications

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:22:38 PST 2009

2009/2/24 Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu>:
>> In general, however, they will not run faster.  In order for an
> application to run faster, it has to be written to run in parallel, and
> most desktop applications are not.

Interestingly enough, my local Linux User Group recently had a discussion on the
Reia language http://wiki.reia-lang.org/wiki/Reia_Programming_Language

The 'threads' of the Erlang virtual machine can be migrated to other machines.
Blue skying a little, if mechanisms like this were used for
desktop-type applications they
would be able to be load balanced across a cluster.