[Beowulf] itanium vs. x86-64

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Tue Feb 10 13:17:44 PST 2009

> Which profilers can
> benefit from all this info?

We have found Oprofile to be a useful text-oriented tool:
http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/about/
>From the Overview on this page:
"OProfile is a system-wide profiler for Linux systems, capable of profiling all running code at low overhead. OProfile is released under the GNU GPL.

It consists of a kernel driver and a daemon for collecting sample data, and several post-profiling tools for turning data into information.

OProfile leverages the hardware performance counters of the CPU to enable profiling of a wide variety of interesting statistics, which can also be used for basic time-spent profiling. All code is profiled: hardware and software interrupt handlers, kernel modules, the kernel, shared libraries, and applications."

-Tom