[Beowulf] longevity of 1U servers?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 23:55:44 PST 2009

On 10 Feb 2009, at 12:10 am, Bill Broadley wrote:

> Seems like fans are the main problem with 1Us.   Pretty much
> efficiency (air
> moved per watt) and noise (air moved per decibel) hugely favor
> larger fans.
> I've seen 1U nodes that waste 30+ watts or so on moving air.
> Seems like a rear door with a few 18" diameter fans could easily
> move more air
> than 40 1U systems with 240 1" fans in them.  Seems like large
> savings in
> power and expense could be had by moving the fans to the rack
> doors.  I've
> seen blade servers basically do this, alas at a large cost premium.

Exactly.  Consider the enormous blowers in an IBM BladeCenter chassis,
there are only two fans for fourteen machines.

Blade servers do save money elsewhere;  *generally* they're much
easier to deploy and administer than individual pizza boxes.

At least, they are when the lights out management firmware isn't an
unspeakable crock.  Ahem.