[Beowulf] longevity of 1U servers?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Feb 9 13:36:12 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:32:13AM -0800, David Mathog wrote:

> The market seems to have gone over pretty much completely to 1U compute
> nodes, with 2U or higher reserved for head nodes or other storage.

Well, I had to do 2U on my latest clusters for power-density reasons,
but I noticed a long time ago that 2U nodes seem to be a lot more
idiot-proof to design, and run cooler and quieter.

Unfortunately, most statistics that people quote you for reliability
depend on the bad batches of components they're seeing.

-- greg