[Beowulf] Re: A question about antique hardware

Steve Cousins cousins at umit.maine.edu
Thu Dec 17 11:55:52 PST 2009

Gus Correa wrote:

> Dear Beowulfers
>
> Did anybody ever get Gigabit Ethernet NICs to work on
> the Tyan Tiger S2466-4M motherboards under Linux?

Hi Gus,

I have a S2466 Tiger MPX board that has been running for years with a
copper Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC (82540EM) without trouble. The onboard 3Com
3c905C is running too and I've never had any problems with it (that I can
remember!). The Gigabit card is using the e1000 driver and the 3Com is
using 3c59x with a 2.4.20-20.7smp kernel with Redhat 7.3. (yikes!) As you
can see it is a machine that I have pretty much forgotten about but it is
closed off to the internet and it still serves a purpose.

I hope this helps.

Steve