[Beowulf] Forwarded from a long time reader having trouble posting

Gerald Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:30:54 PST 2009

Toon Knapen wrote:

>     I believe xfs is now available in 5.4.  I'd have to check.  We've
>     found xfs to be our preference (but we're revisiting gluster and
>     lustre). I've not played with gfs so far.
>

> And why do you prefer xfs if I may ask. Performance? Do you many small
> files or large files?

Our experience was that XFS was both the most reliable and best
performing of the various file systems we experimented with.  While the
majority of our files are relatively small, it also performs well with
large files.  XFS repair is usually a simple manner and very fast, when
the XFS equivalent of an fsck is required.

gerry