[Beowulf] realtime network

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:00:04 PDT 2009

Reza,
I don't know what all this list would have to say about real-time; may be
interesting.
Almost 20 years ago I used OS 9 (Microware, not to be confused with Mac OS 9
predecessor of OS X) on motorola VME bus, which was purpose-built for
real-time; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS9
I think that's still alive and you can get a port to intel processors.

More recently, I've used VMS (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS) on
DEC Alpha, was popular for industrial transaction processing.

It used to be that unix wasn't considered reliable for real-time but I'm
sure that's changed, there must be a flavor out there somewhere. Maybe look
at AIX, but see below.

I see Wiki has lists of extant real-time OSes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_operating_system#Examples
Peter