[Beowulf] Help for terrible NFS write performance

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Aug 21 11:09:18 PDT 2009

Cunningham, Dave wrote:
> Are you suggesting that running nosync in an hpc environment might be
> a good idea ?  We had that discussion with our integrator and were
> assured that running nosync was the path to damnation and would
> probably grow hair on our palms.

... that may be, but the flip side is that your write performance will
be terrible with sync.  Its a question of which risk is larger.

Sync forces the write to wait to return to the user until the data is
committed to disk.  Which is technically not true, as it is committed to
cache on the drive unless you turned off all write caching.  Even then,
drivers don't necessarily wait and verify that the data got to disk.
They verify that the data was flushed to disk, but not that the data on
the disk is what you thought it was.

This said, we haven't seen this problem (corrupted fs data) as an issue
for a crashed NFS server in a while (years).  YMMV.

> What are your thoughts on the tradeoff ?

Performance or "safety".  Sync doesn't give you guarantees that your
data is on disk, it merely guarantees that the relevant semantics have
been honored.

We have found that with a good journaling file system (not ext3), that
this is not usually an issue.

Then again, you are using md raid, which means you don't have a nice
battery backed raid behind you to cache IO ops, such as writes that
didn't finish making it to disk.  So unless you have turned off write
caching on the drives themselves, the sync is superfluous.

Bug me offline if you want to talk more about this.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO