[Beowulf] newbie beorun question

Michael Muratet mmuratet at hudsonalpha.org
Fri Aug 14 15:22:00 PDT 2009

Greetings

I thought I understood the operation of beorun --no-local but now I'm
not so sure.

I started a task with beorun --no-local command and it started on node
0 which is reasonable because the cluster was empty. I started a
second task the same way and the second appears to have started on
node 0 as well, leaving all the other nodes empty. How can this
happen? I've re-read the man page a couple of times now and realized I
don't see where it has a guarantee of load balancing. I don't see
anything in the beomap man page, either, that balances loads (except
manually).

We are working towards submitting everything through torque, but in
the meantime, is there any load balancing available via beorun?

Thanks

Mike