[Beowulf] performance tweaks and optimum memory configs for a Nehalem

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 10 13:20:36 PDT 2009

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>>> this is on the machine which reports 16 cores, right?  I'm guessing
>>> that the kernel is compiled without numa and/or ht, so enumerates
>>> virtual
>>> cpus first.  that would mean that when otherwise idle, a 2-core
>>> proc will get virtual cores within the same physical core.  and that
>>> your 8c
>>> test is merely keeping the first socket busy.
>>
>> No. On both machines. The one reporting 16 cores and the other
>> reporting 8. i.e. one hyperthreaded and the other not. Both having 8
>> physical cores.
>>
>> What is bizarre is I tried using -np 16. THat ought to definitely
>> utilize all cores, right? I'd have expected the 16 core performance to
>> be the best. BUt no the performance peaks at a smaller number of
>> cores.
>
> Well, as there are only 8 "real" cores, running a computationally
> intensive process across 16 should *definitely* do worse than across 8.
> However, it's not so surprising that you're seeing peak performance with
> 2-4 threads.  Nehalem can actually overclock itself when only some of
> the cores are busy -- it's called Turbo Mode.  That *could* be what
> you're seeing.

We are seeing that the chips will overclock themselves even with all cores
running.  The percent increase in speed can be from 2-10% per node.  I have
never had a run (single node HPL) run as slow as it does when Turbo is
turned off.  However, with all the variation per node, there isn't much
of a win for large jobs as they will generally slow down to the slowest node.

Craig

Craig Tierney (craig.tierney at noaa.gov)