[Beowulf] Re NiftyOMPI Tom Mitchell <niftyompi at niftyegg.com>

Greg Keller Greg at keller.net
Wed Aug 5 08:41:23 PDT 2009

Brian,

A 3rd option: upgrade your Chassis to 288 ports.  The beauty of SS/
Qlogic switches is they all use the same components.  The Chassis/
Backplane are relatively dumb and cheap.  You can re-use your spine
switches and leaf switches.  You don't even need to add the additional
spine switches if 2:1 blocking is OK.

Be very careful which ports you use to link the switches together if
you do try and splice 2 chassis together.  SMs can have trouble
mapping many configrations, and you're probably best off dedicating
line cards as "Uplink" or "Compute" (but don't mix/match) if I recall
the layouts correctly.  With these "multi-tiered" switches the SM
sometimes can't figure out which way is up if you mix the ports
apparently.

A 4th Option:  36 Port QDR + DDR
Also note that the QDR switches are based on 36 port chips and not a
huge price jump (per port), so with a "Hybrid" cable for the uplinks,
you may be able to purchase the newer technology and block the heck
out of it.  So adding 48 additional nodes could be as easy as:

Disconnect 48 nodes for uplinks from the core switch
Connect 4 x 36 port QDR with 12 uplinks to each
Connect 48 old, and 48 new nodes to the 36 port QDR "edge"
This leaves you with 96 nodes on each side of a 48 port

Option 3 is the cleanest, and generically my favorite if you can get a
chassis for a reasonable price.

Cheers!
Greg