[Beowulf] newbie

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Thu Apr 30 08:05:29 PDT 2009

John Hearns wrote:
> A commercial compiler - Intel / Pathscale /Portland will always give
> you better performance from an application.
> The guys who work on those compilers care about optimization.

While I agree with this generality, generally. It is not always true
Specific software may actually run faster with GCC than with a
"optimized" compiler. We saw several instances of this on the Apple
cluster with GCC 4 vs. Absoft.

Also, a particular code may run much better with one "optimized"
compiler than another. I have some that require PGI to run at all. Some
that run faster with PGI. And, others run better with Intel tham PGI.

--
Mike Davis			Technical Director
(804) 828-3885			Center for High Performance Computing

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."  George S. Patton