[Beowulf] 1 multicore machine cluster

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 16:17:40 PDT 2009

I think (as I've said before, sorry if I'm banging a drum) that the new idea
of "node" is going to be relative, and we will end up with more elementary
concepts. To a trivially distributed, compute intenstive application (like,
crunching a long time to factor one big integer), a node would be just an
independent hyperthread within a core. To a latency intensive, message
passing appliation, like the N body problem or weather forecasting, a node
would be something with it's own NIC, like a motherboard level, not a single
core.

I believe that sooner or later applications will be smart and adaptable
about it, and request different kinds of nodes for different kinds of tasks.
So we will have terms like:

fat node -- has it's own NIC and disks.
fast node -- has a fast connection, maybe faster than most nodes on the
cluster, 100GigE whatever.
thread node -- the node for a compute intensive app.
leaf node -- relative; maybe fat for some apps, threads for others.
etc.

Every since coining the term "groupie" (for a node that has few neighbors,
but is connected to nodes with lots of neighbors) which got into the
literature (graph theory) I've been ambitious about this sort of thing :-)

Peter

P.S. the mathematician Leonard Carlitz (I wrote his wiki entry) taught me by
example how much better you work when you group terms into the right level
of abstraction. You think as efficiently as the concepts are appropriately
loaded in your brain, with handles. Like OO programming except back then it
was grouping algebraic terms on paper :-)