[Beowulf] Re: ECC Memory and Job Failures (Huw Lynes)

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Apr 28 08:59:18 PDT 2009

Lux, James P wrote:

> On 4/28/09 5:14 AM, "Prentice Bisbal" <prentice at ias.edu> wrote:
>
>> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>>>
>> My favorite characteristic of these urban legends is that anyone smart
>> enough to pull off a trick like this is probably already making enough
>> money that they don't need to steal electricity.
>>
> But I read it on the internets, and I don't have to know how it works, just
> follow the E-Z step by step instructions in the Youtube video.
>
> And as for the source for the copper wire, you just wait til it's daytime,
> and steal it from the streetlight system like everyone else does.

What's worse is when it appears in the IEEE Transactions, and I spend a
year and $4k to build the antenna I couldn't prove mathematically (I
assumed the authors' calculus fu was better than mine).  It didn't work
on paper when I tried... and it didn't work in practice with all the
same hardware save the 2 gm of unobtainium.

--
Gerry Creager
AATLT, Texas A&M University     Tel: 979.862.3982