[Beowulf] 1 multicore machine cluster

Glen Beane Glen.Beane at jax.org
Fri Apr 24 05:03:05 PDT 2009

On 4/24/09 3:03 AM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:

im impressed with the different views everyone has. i dont know how many of you would agree with me a multicore processor lets say a quad is 4 nodes in one. could one say it like that?

I would not.  To me a node is a physical thing.  One or more processor(s), RAM, running its own OS instance.  I have a cluster of N nodes with M cores per node, or N*M total cores.

In your example, N is 1 and M is 4.

One thing that annoys me is when an intern working on an MPI program keeps saying "node" when they really mean MPI rank since we are long past the days where we have a 1 to 1 mapping between MPI ranks and nodes (we don't do any kind of hybrid thing where we have 1 multi-threaded process per node).

--
Glen L. Beane
Software Engineer