[Beowulf] Oracle buys Sun

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Apr 21 17:10:49 PDT 2009

----- "Geoff Jacobs" <gdjacobs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Lustre will be ok. Oracle does have OCFS, but I've
> never used it and nobody has mentioned it, so it might still
> be in gestation.

AFAIK OCFS was never a POSIX compliant filesystem (or
intended to be so) and I'm not sure if it's in the
mainline kernels any more.   OCFS2 is POSIX compliant
and in the mainline kernel but I don't know if it's
intended as being a large scale filesystem, it might
be targeted more like GFS at a small number of systems
doing a specific task (like running a DBMS ;)).

> Sun has some interesting assets in virtualization.
> I want to see where Oracle goes with that.

Personally I want to know what they plan for their
existing HPC support; Sun just won big in Australia
with the combined ANUSF and BoM cluster and so hopefully
they'll commit to supporting that deal long term!

cheers,
Chris