[Beowulf] Re: doubt about job queuing systems

Heiner Grill H.Grill at science-computing.de
Mon Apr 20 02:23:41 PDT 2009

do you know that there is an open source, entry level version of LSF
available named Lava from

This might be helpful if you want to test without buying LSF licenses.

Best regards,

> ------------------------------
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:07:48 +0800
> From: "Jin, Yao" <jinyao at ymail.com>
> Subject: [Beowulf] doubt about job queuing systems
> To: beowulf at beowulf.org
> Dear all,
> We've just bought a program named  CST <http://www.cst.de> Microwave Studio
> 2009(CST MWS)
> Engineer from CST says their program could be scheduled by Platform LSF. Our
> cluster is built with Rockscluster, only torque or SGE is avaiable. We
> cannot affort LSF as it is too expensive.
> Engineer from Dell(vendor of our cluster) says torque, SGE and LSF have just
> the same functionality, what makes difference is stability, schedule
> algorithm and price.
> We don't have LSF in hand, and engineer from CST refuses to demostrate
> running CST MWS with LSF.(They says they don't have LSF either, the test is
> carried on other customer's cluster.)
> CST MWS is traditionally a program run on a single PC.  Version 2009 is the
> first release with MPI parallell code. It uses a modified MPI Library.
> Even console execution would start GUI interface. If no X server is found,
> it would redirect graphical output to *Xvfb*(a virtual X11 server that
> performs all graphical operations in memory)
> When I argue that many other computational electromagnetics programs such as
> FEKO <http://www.feko.info> can run in batch mode without any X output and
> can be sheduled directly by external job queueing system, engineer from CST
> declares that kind of  program not starting a GUI is old-fashioned...
> Are they telling the truth, or just lying?
> Best Regards,
> Jin, Yao
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,
Dr. Arno Steitz, Dr. Ingrid Zech
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Michel Lepert