[Beowulf] Oracle buys Sun

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Apr 20 06:57:49 PDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Tiago Marques wrote:

> and Sun have been natural competitors for years; Oracle and Sun have
> been natural partners.
>
> Except when it comes to RDBMS.

Aw, I'm just quoting the hype on Sun's website.  It says right there:
Sun and Oracle are natural partners.  Or something like that.

So it must be true.

At least I'm willing to entertain the possibility that it is true; I
really never saw the point of IBM+Sun, and HP+Compaq+DEC+Sun has the
flavor of a "greatest Unix hits of the 90's" retro album purchased only
by aging nerd hippies with ponytails pulled back from their bald spots,
a potbelly, and grizzled beards.  Oh, wait, I look like that (except
that I'm too dignified to actually wear a pony tail at 54).

Besides, way too many of us long since moved to Linux and are hardly
even properly nostalgic for SunOS 4.3 or Sunview anymore.  So what's the
point...:-)

    rgb

(Nope, still not it.  Feeling random this morning, gotta go.  LAST
LECTURE of the semester today.  That must be it.  It's spring and I'm
feelin' frisky...;-)