[Beowulf] Surviving a double disk failure

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 19:02:54 PDT 2009

Thanks to all the responses, it has been interesting reading.  We have
started using raid6 on newer servers and will slowely get rid of our
old raid5 servers.

I found the comments about scrubbing very interesting.  What do people
do with their file systems?  We couldn't afford the reduced
performance and time for scrubbing.  We run our Lustre setup almost
flat out all the time.  We regularly do over a PB of io in a week (we
often have our total throughput at ~3GB/s for weeks on end).  We use
lustre as our scratch space so backups are not possible.  Nothing
could get the data off fast enough between us creating/using/deleting
it.

Of course, the fact that we basically run at 95% full all the time is
as good as scrubbing :)

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com