[Beowulf] Nehalem memory configs

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 06:56:34 PDT 2009

>>> previously).

>>> http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/04-08-2009+-+Nehalem+and+Memory+Configur

>>> ations

>> That's a great write-up, gathering all the useful information in one

>> place. A must read. Thanks Jeff!

It is a good write up, very good ... but there looks to be an error under "Memory Bandwidth

Performance" ... first, for socket-local-memory, I am not sure of the relevance of

the QPI GT rate.  I would calculate the maximum rate to socket-local-memory

with 1 DIMM per channel at:

1.333 GHz  x 3 Channels x 8 bytes =  31.992 GBytes/sec

not 35 GByters/sec.  Maybe I am doing something wrong.  ´

>I understood the 35 GB/s to be the transfer rate that you reach when

>accessing Memory with 8 Cores. So it involves 6 Channels (2 CPUs,

>3 channels each). ~64 GB/s (theory) - 35 GB/s (real life). Makes sense

>to me.

64 GB/sec is the right dual-socket theoretical number for this situation, and Intel

presents the value of 33 GB/sec for the stream triad for the dual socket boards,

so 35 GB/sec could be a copy perhaps, but nothing was mentioned about any

benchmark in the memory piece.  In any case,  I think  we have the right theoretical

and probable real-world numbers expressed here, if people were wondering.

rbw
_______________________________________________ Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin Computing To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf