[Beowulf] Repenting for sins against Dell (on good Friday, no less)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 10 07:53:36 PDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> While we're all repenting for our sins against Dell on this Good Friday,
> I'd like to add that Dell's DKMS (Dynamics Kernel Management System) is
> great:
>
> http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms
>
> I understand Jeff is relatively new to Dell. Maybe in the future we'll
> see his influence improve Dell's clustering situation.

I'm sure that he will!  And Linux in general.  This is potentially a
brilliant move on Dell's part.  If they set up their own private yum/RPM
repository set and preinstall linux with auto-update and a dell.repo for
device drivers, special kernels, a pretty GUI tool that lets dumb-dumb
new clients shop for free applications and games, and maybe actually
build a way for customers to buy proprietary linux apps (e.g. games) via
authenticated/keyed access to yum repos, he could singlehandedly create
a serious userland linux market.

Cut a deal with vmware on the side, add full out-of-the-box lin/win
experience, perhaps even make that STANDARD -- Lin on top with open
office, firefox and more, vmware, then firewalled xppro, all distributed
via yum and he could take the office desktop by storm.  Secure windows
-- run from inside linux!

Oh, he could do so many, so good things...

Go Jeff!

     rgb