[Beowulf] Repeated Dell SC1435 crash / hang. How to get the vendor to resolve the issue when 20% of the servers fail in first year?

Sellers, William A. (LARC-D205)[NCI INFORMATION SYSTEMS] w.a.sellers at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 7 14:39:32 PDT 2009

To be perfectly fair to Dell, I have a rack of SC1435 and they are
working perfectly under CentOS 5.2.  Too bad I can't buy more.  I'm
having to strip down Dell 1950's to add a new rack of nodes, which costs
significantly more.  My gripe is that Dell has put the 1435 on
end-of-sale, with the 1950 soon to follow, and no suitable replacement
(from what I've seen & heard) for a diskless, dual CPU, 1 U footprint
node available for sale for HPC use.

In regards to getting good access to Dell Tech Support, look at Dell Pro
support.  It's a good idea having a node or 2 subscribed to get access
to the engineering folks.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/services/prosupport/it?c=
us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/services/prosupport/end_u