[Beowulf] Odd SuperMicro power off issues

Nifty Tom Mitchell niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 7 17:13:44 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:53:21PM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
> power off on a Shanghai node!
>
> We've got over half the machine changed over so far,
> and some of them have been in for a fair while, so it
> does seem to be statistically significant.
>
> We know it's not the BIOS update as we've done some
> in advance of getting Shanghai's in and they've still
> powered off with Barcelona.

Power off is one of those BIOS + ACPI things.
Do check for a BIOS update.   Toggle between APM
and ACPI if the BIOS permits.

Not a great link but a start:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Better..

  http://www.acpica.org/documentation/faq.php

See the 'interpreter' bits and if available update
yours (OS side of it).The CentSO man page for acpid
makes this note.... and since you have a 'newer' processor
do look into it.

"""
DEPENDENCIES
       Please make sure you are using the latest ACPI code possible.  This  is
       available from
           http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm.
"""

--