[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Apr 5 12:26:57 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:49:22PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:19:02PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>
> > Exactly like shared-bus multiprocessors.
> >
> > The incremental method of solving this is what Opteron/Nehalem does.
>
> None of these had to deal with hundreds or thousands of cores in a
> single socket yet

I didn't say they were identical. I said they were related.

> SMP (shared global memory) in general would fall flat on its face
> well before kilocore, not even talking about mega or gigacore.

Not only are there kilocore SMP machines already, but the HPC
community is well aware of ways to do non-SMP mega-core machines.  Of
course, these existing examples say you need a lot of memory bandwidth,
more than today's sockets come with.

-- greg