[Beowulf] Re: Rackable / SGI

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Sun Apr 5 01:39:05 PDT 2009

On 4 Apr 2009, at 10:29 pm, Jason Riedy wrote:

> And Joe Landman writes:
>> Good performance:
>> ------------------
>> GlusterFS
>> PVFS2
>
> I don't suppose you've experimented with Ceph or POHMELFS?  I just
> attempted to build Lustre support for experimenting and remembered
> why I avoid it.
>
> And Lustre already is in an odd spot.  One high-level competitor to
> Sun uses it, HP.

They don't just use it.  My understanding is that HP are (or at least
were) the primary contractor for the Department of Defense, and had
subcontracted it to CFS, who of course were subsequently bought by
Sun.  I definitely agree with you that it's an 'odd spot' politically,
though.  Neither company actually seems desperately interested in it.

Tim