[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:27:27 PDT 2009

2009/4/3 Jon Forrest <jlforrest at berkeley.edu>:

> Which brings up the question of whether SGE, and similar vendor supported
> projects, really need to be vendor supported. There are many consortia,
> foundations, and what-not these days that manage to produce and maintain
> some pretty complicated software. Why couldn't this be done with SGE,
> if and when Sun is bought by somebody?
>
> I realize that the transition from vendor-supported to the new
> state might not be easy but that's another issue.

Taking up my contrary position of today, lets ask what would happen if
there was NO vendor input - specifically to the Linux kernel. If
companies like SGI, and Sun IBM and HP had not let their engineers get
involved with Linux, and open source things such as XFS we would not
have the enterprise-level features that we see now. And enterprise
level features need the hardware - it is no good some geek imagining
what would happen on a 1024 processor 64 bit system as he compiles up
the kernel pathches on his laptop.

I know I am not answering like with like, as you ask about SGE, but I
hope my point is clear,