[Beowulf] Efficient UPS Aids Google’s Extreme PUE

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 2 07:18:39 PDT 2009

> April 1st, 2009 : Rich Miller

was this just a very droll and not very funny april fools article?

> uninterruptible power supply (UPS). The design shifts the UPS and battery
> backup functions from the data center into the server cabinet (see our

well, that sounds reasonable - I guess the point is just that the right place
to put a battery is in the ac->dc switching unit.  it's a little strange
in that you might hope for some advantages to a large/central UPS, and that
it presumes all nodes need power protection, and that the intended runtime
is fairly low.

without knowing the numbers, it seems strange to move more degradable
hardware into the nodes...