[Beowulf] SGI and Sun: In Memoriam

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Apr 2 06:02:58 PDT 2009

While I really appreciate the elegy, the summation of this is: The
hardware vendors we once knew have, or are, slowly doing themselves in.
  The ones we're going to recognize in the foreseeable future are Intel,
AMD and Freescale, plus a few others around the edges (Via, for
instance), who learn to adapt and build acceptable chips; graphics
vendors, assuming they're not eaten whole and then killed by bigger chip
makers; and motherboard manufacturers (e.g., Supermicro) who are the
integrators of the future.

gerry