[Beowulf] SGI and Sun: In Memoriam

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Apr 2 05:24:05 PDT 2009

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 April 2009 17:48:56 you wrote:
>> A point I
>> didn't make in my blog post on this stuff is that the academic side,
>> while a nice market to play in, isn't terribly profitable.  You have to
>> give "killer" discounts to play in many cases.  Which in the case of a
>> low margin commodity business, is, in a real sense, a killer.
>
> But aren't those killer discounts paid back in image building and
> advertisement savings? It would make sense for companies to invest in some

Not always ... or even frequently.  Most university folks can't (as part
of their employment) explicitly endorse a product or brand ... so we
couldn't get "Joe Schmoe from University X" to say how wonderful our
systems are.  Aside from that, there are the ethical problems with
buying endorsements ...

> academic partnerships/projects, to make the buzz, and build up an image of
> performance, reliability and trust. Something along the lines of: "see, this

These are two different things, and I agree with the latter.  We work on
lots of partnerships/projects ... lots of bidirectional stuff.  This
benefits everyone.  Not from advertising per-se, but from continuous
exposure to problems of current research interest, at the hands on
level.  This helps us focus our thoughts, our offerings on what
researchers need, by getting us to speak and work with researchers.

But this has nothing to do with discounts.

> prestigious university/institution is using that company's product line, and
> they must know what they're talking about, so I should do it too."

... this doesn't usually work so well.  Argument by authority often
fails in these circles :)

More to the point, every customer is quite different in needs, and often
need specialized things.

> That seems to me like a short-term profitability loss, but a long-term gain
> since it could drive more sales.

Well, the (somewhat flippant) point I'll make about this is that it is
hard to pay rent, staff, and suppliers in good-will, visibility, and
reputation.  All of them want cold hard cash.  So if you buy all your
business ... that is, you pay your customer to take your
hardware/software/services by charging them less than it costs you, you
are losing money in net in this process.  For some companies, losing
money on each and every sale is the norm.  They just don't last very
long.  Like SGI.

Until our landlords and suppliers take reputation as a basis for
compensation, we still need to collect actual money.  More to the point,
if every University requests/demands a discount, how is offering it to
one and taking a loss on the product/offering going to help you make
money to keep the lights on, pay people, ...  when all of them ask for
the same thing?  Sadly, it won't.

What I am suggesting is, that if you like your suppliers, you might want
to consider keeping them in business.  Which means not requiring huge
discounts as incentives to buy.  A way to do this is to pre-define your
budget to them, and tell them you want to maximize your value in this
budget.  Value is not simply the inverse of price (though many
university purchasing agents would like to believe this and only this).
  Value it fit to mission, capability to pursue other missions, etc.  It
is many things.  If you give the vendors a fixed number and say "do the
best you can do in this number", most will do their best, and still be
able to pay rent if you buy from them.

Conversely, if you don't have a fixed number in mind, select (and pay) a
small HPC shop to help you with design and config.  This will help set
budgetary expectations.  And you can then run the aforementioned process.

It is of no value to universities and companies if the latter are driven
out of business because they can no longer afford to service the markets
of the former.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO